Toggle stylesheet

Text size: A A

Burns Rehabilitation

Unit Overview

The Burns Rehabilitation Unit will cover topics such as scar management, ongoing psychological issues, ongoing pain management, return to work/school and social reintegration It is a single unit with curriculum covering both paediatric and adult aspects of burn injury care.

A minimum of 6 months experience is required for acceptance.

Unit Content

The curriculum covers all aspects of burn rehabilitation management, specifically:

  • Ongoing respiratory care
  • Chronic wound management
  • Scar assessment and management
  • Role of pressure garments - including hypertrophic scars
  • Skin camouflage
  • Post-traumatic stress
  • Adjustment issues and depression
  • Managing appearance related concerns
  • Psychological issues of returning to work/school
  • Burn Camps
  • Nutritional issues in burn rehabilitation
  • Scar Physiology
  • Adult and paediatric functional rehabilitation
  • Outcome measures
  • Surgical reconstruction
  • Neuropathic pain
  • School/work reintegration
  • Role of the Burns Outreach Team
  • Managing appearance related concerns
  • Role of the Rehab Team and Rehab Prescription

Academic Study

This is an online module which involve participating in an interactive programme of study combining e-learning, on-line taught lessons, self-directed study, discussions with students completing practice assessment documents and summative assessments

Academic study affords 20 credits for level 6 and 15 credits for level 7

Where and when?

The unit will run for a total of seven full day sessions, each on a Friday and generally commencing in February each year

What qualifications/entry requirements do I need?

Level 6 Study

A minimum of DipHE in a health-related subject (Level 5)

Level 7 Study

A minimum of a degree in a health-related subject (Level 6)

The course is open to all professionals with regular exposure to burn injuries and the ability to reflect on burn management.

How much will it cost?

If you are already working in burn care within the Northern Burn Network the course is free. If you would like to apply and work within the Northern Burn Care Network, you should request an expression of interest form from

If you work outside the Northern Burn Care Network, applications should be made direct to the University of Manchester via email at Self-funding will be required - costs are available from the University of Manchester